Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it legal to run an online free poker site. Details on

Is it legal to run...
Is it legal to run an online free poker site.

Details on the site would be similar to Zynga's Facebook Poker site.
1.) The Site would be mainly for entertainment only.
2.) Players would receive free chips daily
3.) People could spend money to get more virtual poker chips.
4.) There would be no payouts. (Since it's free) (Just like Zynga)
5.) This site and company would be based in USA/IL

I have heard of the FBI shutting down online poker sites in past, but I think that was because it was actually paying players and considered gambling. I mainly want to setup a site to entertain but if I'm putting my butt on the line and that will make up my mind.
9/12/2013
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

It's absolutely legal. The problem before wasn't actually with the gambling it was the funding of the accounts that was illegal.

Dwayne B. :

You don't face any risks with a play for free website.

Customer:

Even if I do accept payment for extra chips, am I still alright?

Dwayne B. :

You should be so long as the players aren't receiving anything back other than chips in a game.

Dwayne B. :

With the pat for play sites what happened is they were laundering money, basically. Players were depositing money but it was going through banks and rental car agencies to get cleaned.

Customer:

Perfect Answer and clarification. Thanks for accepting my question.

Dwayne B. :

No problem. Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

Nope.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Best wishes!
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney