Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I filed a personal injury by mail with the disctrict court

I filed a personal injury by mail with the disctrict court in Denver. Was I suppose to send copies of this to the defendants? They do know I am filing a suit as I told them this in the demand letter. I filed with courts on time before the statute ended, but if I was suppose send them copies then have I lost because I didn't send them copies on time?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

You were supposed to have them served on the defendants, usually by a deputy or a private process server.

Dwayne B. :

When did the injury occur and when did you file the lawsuit?

Customer:

it occurred 2 years ago on September 2nd.

Dwayne B. :

When did you file the lawsuit? Also, was this the result of a car wreck?

Customer:

No. The landlord did not mitigate damages to my apartment after it flooded with human urine and feces due to a root found in the main sewage line. Due to this I became ill and had to drop out of graduate school. I broke the lease and moved out per my doctor. They created false invoices to show that they had cleaned the unit thus I had no right to break the lease. They gave these invoices to a collection agency as well. I have proof they created false invoices - the rental insurance rep took pics on the days they claim to have cleaned the unit so if I can't do a personal injury now couldn't I do something with fraud? That's another question which I can ask separately so you are paid appropriately though.

Customer:

I filed with the courts on September 2nd of this year

Dwayne B. :

Since it is only a few days later you can still have them served with the papers and you should be okay. The courts allow a "reasonable time" after a lawsuit is filed to have the other party served.

Customer:

Really? Its been ten days.

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

Can I rate this question and then ask you another one on this same chat

Dwayne B. :

Sure.

It switched formats so we can either continue in this format or ask another one and do it in chat, whichever you prefer. If you open a new one start it with FOR DWAYNE B and i'll pick up as soon as I see it.