How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

metro pcs wont out port my phone number to another carrier.

This answer was rated:

metro pcs won't out port my phone number to another carrier. They say I must change carriers because I left their service area. They say my password XXXXX access my account. They want me to return to CA. show them my I.D. and then and only then will they release my phone number. I am a thousand miles away. Is my phone number protected by federal law? Can I get that law enforced?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : There are rules administered by the Federal Communications Commissio that allows you to port your phone number if you move WITHIN the same geographical area. If it's a land line phone number, the ability to port the number is XXXXX limited by area code.
Kirk Adams : If the phone is a mobile number then the geographical area is larger, but if you've moved 1000 miles away, it is very likely that you don't have the right to port your number because you're not in the same geographic area.
Kirk Adams : Here's a good FCC link you can read about this:
Kirk Adams : If you believe that you'te still in the same geographic area and the provider is being unreasonable, you have the right to file a complaint with the FCC and have it investigate the matter to see if you're eligible or not.
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you