Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

metro pcs wont out port my phone number to another carrier.

metro pcs won't out port my phone number to another carrier. They say I must change carriers because I left their service area. They say my password XXXXX access my account. They want me to return to CA. show them my I.D. and then and only then will they release my phone number. I am a thousand miles away. Is my phone number protected by federal law? Can I get that law enforced?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Kirk Adams : There are rules administered by the Federal Communications Commissio that allows you to port your phone number if you move WITHIN the same geographical area. If it's a land line phone number, the ability to port the number is XXXXX limited by area code.
Kirk Adams : If the phone is a mobile number then the geographical area is larger, but if you've moved 1000 miles away, it is very likely that you don't have the right to port your number because you're not in the same geographic area.
Kirk Adams : Here's a good FCC link you can read about this: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers
Kirk Adams : If you believe that you'te still in the same geographic area and the provider is being unreasonable, you have the right to file a complaint with the FCC and have it investigate the matter to see if you're eligible or not.