How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Finders Keepers rule of law, found an exspensive mans wedding

This answer was rated:

Finders Keepers rule of law, found an exspensive man's wedding band at Valley Forge Casino, turned it in right away and they said they would hold it for 30 days. No-one has claimed it yet, Sept. 16th makes 30 days. Do I the founder of the ring have rights to the ring if not claimed???

Hello there --


The law of lost property in PA is actually based upon the old childhood schoolyard nursery rhyme "finder's keepers" so you are not off track on that assumption. The law for this is not set out in any statute book -- it is derived from case law on the subject that has come down in cases throughout the years since colonial times in the US. There are about 20 states that have actually passed laws addressing this issue and basically, it works like this: If a piece of tangible property or money is found, the finder is required to turn it over to the local police or other authority who would administer a local "lost & found" desk -- the property stays at that location for the period of days set forth in the statute and then if it remains unclaimed, the person who turned it into the authorities should be contacted and given the property. In Pennsylvania, case law does not state the actual number of days that the property must be held in order for it to be considered abandoned. So, under your state laws you will be entitled to claim the property after 30 days. However, it sounds to me like the party holding the property may give you some trouble with these matters and if that is the case and he will not turn the watch over to you then you should contact the local police dept and ask them to assist you with these matters (the company may be willing to turn it over to the police at that point and the police will most likely turn it over to you and give you a receipt for it so that you can keep it). Here is another article to assist you with your personal quest for the property to be given to you in PA (it is about the "finder's keeper's" law in PA) --


I hope that this all helps.




Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. This will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Legalease and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you