N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

I have a bs in psychology and am currently applying for masters

I have a bs in psychology and am currently applying for masters and doctoral programs. My particular focus is on cluster B personality disorders , such as Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic PD, Histrionic PD and Antisocial PD (often described in the same category as psychopaths).

An old friend of mine has contacted me off and on through texts and email with messages I consider possible threatening in nature. This particular individual has a long history of borderline and psychopathic behavior so I do not take her (though cryptically worded) threats to be without merit. I consider her dangerous. I changed my phone number because of her harassments, but because of business transactions I cannot change my email, which she periodically sends messages too, all of them with hints of very intelligently coded threats.

My question is, can I stop her from doing these things? Like a restraining order of some sort of another means of stopping her from contacting me whatsoever?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Mel
I'm sorry to hear this.

Which State are you in?

Do you have proof of written threats?

Have you ever filed a police report about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in the state of Arkansas. I do have several emails that allude to threats. Though they are not overt, they are, as I said, alluded to. This individual has the tendency to periodically send me emails of an well worded, though threatening nature. What I consider to be typical of an a psychopathic/borderline personality. I have known her for years and quite frankly, she scares me. She has a pattern of making outrageous and slanderous claims against others who have cut her out of their lives, and has also harassed them. I feel as though I am her next victim. If you would like , I can send you those emails I have received. As I said before, they are not overtly threatening, but psychopaths have a way of making their threats in a subvert manner rather than downright overt ones, to avoid being caught. I had to change my phone number to avoid her harassments but now she is using my email address as a means to throw digs and subvert threats in my direction.

I have not contacted authorities because I'm not sure if I have enough evidence to do so. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, I want this woman to stop contacting me. Though I like to think of myself as a strong individual, the thought of a malicious and vindictive person such as this woman having me as her target, greatly unnerves me. She has a history of liking to "punish" those who have done her wrong. And according to her, the wrong I have done her was cutting her out of my life.

I know this may not help much, but I would appreciate any advice I could get.

Thank you for your time.

Mel

If you can prove a threat you could get a restraining order against harassment, but proof sounds like it's not a slam dunk. Also, taking her to Court may get you even more entangled with her, and she may get more obsessed with you.

I think the best solution may be to start bouncing back any email she sends you and ignore her.

Here is the statute:
§ 5-41-108. Unlawful computerized communications.

(a) (1) A person commits the offense of unlawful computerized communications if:

(A) With the purpose to frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass another person, he sends a message to the person on an electronic mail or other computerized communication system and in that message threatens to cause physical injury to any person or damage to the property of any person; or

(B) With the purpose to frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass another person, he sends a message on an electronic mail or other computerized communication system with the reasonable expectation that the person will receive the message and in that message threatens to cause physical injury to any person or damage to the property of any person; or

(C) With the purpose to frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass another person, he sends a message to another person on an electronic mail or other computerized communication system and in that message uses any obscene, lewd, or profane language; or

(D) With the purpose to frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass another person, he sends a message on an electronic mail or other computerized communication system with the reasonable expectation that the person will receive the message and in that message uses any obscene, lewd, or profane language.

(2) Unlawful computerized communications is a Class A misdemeanor.

(b) (1) The judicial officer in a court of competent jurisdiction shall upon pretrial release of the defendant enter an order consistent with Rules 9.3 and 9.4 of the Arkansas Rules of Criminal Procedure and shall give notice to defendant of penalties contained in Rule 9.5 of the Arkansas Rules of Criminal Procedure.

(2) This protective order shall remain in effect during the pendency of any appeal of a conviction under this section.

If there is no clear proof of a threat or obscenity it is not likely that the Court would issue a restraining order, and the prosecuting attorney will not file any charges against her. Sociopaths can be quite clever, and it sounds like she is clever enough not to make an explicit threat.

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for the Excellent rating!