How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37007
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do about a law suit against me for delinquent taxes

This answer was rated:

What can I do about a law suit against me for delinquent taxes on property I know nothing about? They say I owe $13,000.00 on a vacant one acre lot in TX.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If this is for back property taxes, then the taxes stay with the property and you aren't personally liable for them. When the property is foreclosed on and sold any proceeds will be used to pay off any delinquent taxes and any unpaid balance is just lost.
They can't come after you personally for property taxes. It is likely that your great uncle died without a will and you inherited some small ownership percentage of the property through the intestate laws that control what happens to a person's estate when someone dies without a will.
So even though you are named as a defendant, you dont' have to worry about them coming after you for the money as you are being named simply as a formality because they legally have to name any owner who has an ownership interest in the property.
Barrister and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you