Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

She attacked me and scarred my face with a key she kept trying to pull me out the car and

She attacked me and scarred...
She attacked me and scarred my face with a key
she kept trying to pull me out the car and hit me more she said she knew where I lived
I went to police station and filed complaint but didn't fully press charges for fear of retribution from her what are my options
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. When you state "what are my options," what do you mean?

1) To ensure that she does not come close to you again, or
2) To sue her civilly for the attack, or
3) Something else?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

will she be informed of report I don't know her address and she has collected information about me from online search what action do you advise

C,

First, please allow me to explain how filing a criminal case works and then we will discuss options.

CRIMINALLY
Once you file a criminal complaint with the police, they may investigate. This is true even if you tell them not to. This is because the state has the right to bring a criminal charge against someone even if the complaining witness (i.e. you) does not wish it. If the police deem this serious enough to investigate, I am afraid that she WOULD find out about the complaint. She would be asked to be interviewed by the police to get her own version of the story. Once the police get all the facts, they would pass it on to the prosecutor who would make a decision whether or not to charge her criminally. But going back to the investigation part, she would be warned to stay away from you.

If a criminal matter is pursued, the criminal court normally orders a restraining order on her for you.

CIVILLY
In addition, one has the option of civil action. One can simply get a restraining order - see here. This can be filed at your closest court.

OR, one can PURSUE her for civil liability under intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil assault/battery, and get a restraining order from the court while the suit is pending.

So these are your overall options. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about any of this.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law

i filed the report at eleven this morning how long would it be before an investigation happen

Apologies, I am away but I will reply as soon as I can later on tonight. I promise.
It all depends on the police... unfortunately, it is impossible to say when they will begin the investigation and when they will contact her.
Ely, Counselor at Law