How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9414
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Memphis, TN, and in December 2011, I made a $3,000

This answer was rated:

I live in Memphis, TN, and in December 2011, I made a $3,000 loan for a car to a 17 year old friend with the promise that it would be repaid by the end of January 2012 with an expected settlement from a car accident. Needless to say, I still have not received any money. However, the check for the loan was written to the girl's father and the word "loan" was written on the memo line. Do I have any recourse to collect this debt? Is there a statute of limitations and, if so, how long is it?
I am sorry to hear this.

The oral contract to repay you has a 6 year statute of limitations, see

The case could be filed in small claims (General Sessions) court, see

to locate the court in your county.

You can name both the son and father if you want to, but the father is probably the only necessary defendant since the check was made out to him.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for the information. It was exactly what I wanted to know. I haven't decided to do anything drastic yet, but with the two year mark coming up soon, I was afraid the statute of limitations might be up. Six years gives me plenty of time to make a decision. Again, thank you.

Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!