How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31785
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just learned yesterday that i have a warrant for my arrest

This answer was rated:

I just learned yesterday that i have a warrant for my arrest for a failure to appear to court. I received a ticket in 2010 for driving with a suspend license and was advised that i need to show that i had a valid license. I got the correct documentation showing that my license was valid and showed the courts that in 2010. If they still have a warrant for my arrest today but i live 6 hours away in a different state and have a valid License what is it that i need to do to have the warrant removed.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Bench warrants are only enforceable within the borders of the state, so it likely would not cause you any issues as long as you don't go back to that state. However, if you were to go to Maryland any time in the future, and you're pulled over/stopped, you would be arrested on the warrant as they never expire.

As long as you have a valid license, and you don't go back, you should be ok. Maryland could place s hold on your license with the National Drivers Registry. This is uncommon, but possible.
Roger and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i want to resolve this issue because my license is valid and has been since the first court date. What should i do.

The only way you can resolve this is to turn yourself in on the warrant. If you did that, you likely could get an attorney to negotiate you turning yourself in, paying a fine and going right back out of there.

This usually isn't a big deal if the underlying charge is minor. Thus, a local lawyer in Maryland should be able to help resolve this.