Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I was sexually abused in 1980 and I am 45 now is the statue

of limitations over in the...
If I was sexually abused in 1980 and I am 45 now is the statue of limitations over in the state of louisiana
9/6/2013

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If such abuse took place, the statute of limitations provides an extension of 10 years from the date of majority attained by the minor (meaning when the child turns 18). In this situation, if the abuse took place in 1980, the child's age would have been about 12. The chld would have turned 18 in 1986, and under current laws would have had until 1996 to pursue the abuse against the individual or individuals Here is the current statute that governs:

§2800.9. Action against a person for abuse of a minor

A. An action against a person for sexual abuse of a minor, or for physical abuse of a minor resulting in permanent impairment or permanent physical injury or scarring, is subject to a liberative prescriptive period of ten years. This prescription commences to run from the day the minor attains majority, and this prescription shall be suspended for all purposes until the minor reaches the age of majority. Abuse has the same meaning as provided in Louisiana Children's Code Article 603. This prescriptive period shall be subject to any exception of peremption provided by law.

B. Every plaintiff twenty-one years of age or older at the time the action is filed shall file certificates of merit executed by the attorney for the plaintiff and by a licensed mental health practitioner selected by the plaintiff declaring, respectively, as follows:

(1) That the attorney has reviewed the facts of the case, that the attorney has consulted with at least one licensed mental health practitioner who is licensed to practice and practices in this state and whom the attorney reasonably believes is knowledgeable of the relevant facts and issues involved in the particular action, and that the attorney has concluded on the basis of that review and consultation that there is reasonable and meritorious cause for the filing of the petition. The person consulted may not be a party to the litigation.

(2) That the mental health practitioner consulted is licensed to practice and practices in this state and is not a party to the action, has interviewed the plaintiff and is knowledgeable of the relevant facts and issues involved in the particular action, and has concluded, on the basis of his knowledge of the facts and issues, that in his professional opinion there is a reasonable basis to believe that the plaintiff has been subject to criminal sexual activity or physical abuse during his childhood as defined in this Section.

(3) That the attorney was unable to obtain the consultation required by Paragraph (1) because a statute of limitations would impair the action and that the certificates required by Paragraphs (1) and (2) could not be obtained before the impairment of the action. If a certificate is executed pursuant to this Paragraph, the certificates required by Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall be filed within sixty days after filing the petition.

C. Where certificates are required pursuant to Subsection B of this Section, separate certificates shall be filed for each defendant named in the complaint.

D. A petition filed pursuant to Subsection B of this Section may not name the defendant or defendants until the court has reviewed the certificates of merit filed and has determined, in camera, based solely on those certificates of merit, that there is reasonable and meritorious cause for filing of the action. At that time, the petition may be amended to name the defendant or defendants. The duty to give notice to the defendant or defendants shall not attach until that time.

E. A violation of Subsection B of this Section may constitute unprofessional conduct and may be the grounds for discipline against the attorney.

Acts 1993, No. 694, §1; Acts 1995, No. 503, §1.

While reading your answer I understood that it is too late to do anything about the advise. Is this correct

Thank you for your follow-up.

At this time, under current Louisiana law, that is correct. Currently you really cannot pursue civil or criminal charges against the individuals involved. I am truly sorry.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney