How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16719
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello i just got a marshalls notice for my home for con-ed

This answer was rated:

Hello i just got a marshalls notice for my home for con-ed to take the meters . the account is in my mothers name 7 she passed away 2 years ago the bill is $30,000 i called con -ed & advised what can i do to stop it they said your mom had a court date last week & that was her last chance to fix it the only way to stop it will be to pay $30,000 direct no payment agrangement . I called the marshal they advised try a laser? i need some help badly please help .
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

How many years did were the electric bills not paid for and why?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mom was on a life support machine & I'm understanding she applied for deferred payments because she couldn't work . I am assuming years at least 6/7 years .
Dear Odell,

Thank you for your follow up.

Who is occupying the house since your mother passed away?

Did your mother leave any type of an estate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live their now & no estate , no inheritance I am her only child so I am " next to Kin" I think they call it ?
Dear Odell,

Thank you for your follow up.

Can you please tell me the reasons you did not pay electric bills since your mother passed away?

Can you please tell me if the meter is removed and electricity is disconnected, would that cause any type of life threatening emergency for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was not working I had a stroke but I have started doing handy man work for money & about 3/4 months ago went to con Ed to try to work it out when customer service said the account is too old . I tried to open the account in my girlfriends name & they advised we needed to talk to the con Ed legal dept they advised it has to be paid in full . Con -Ed still does not know my mother is dead .
Dear Odell,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the electric bill does related to the property and also ConEd can place a lien on the house due to this outstanding bill.

At this point, the only way to prevent ConEd from disconnecting the electricity to the house and removing a meter, since the removal already has been court ordered, would be for you to contact a local consumer protection attorney and have this attorney file emergency motion to vacate meter removal order with the court and also to attempt to negotiate a repayment plan with ConEd legal department.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you