How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20366
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently was fired from my job an was told by human resorece

This answer was rated:

I recently was fired from my job an was told by human resorece lady not to talk about it so I didn't an now I hear from people that work their they heard I was fired because of drugs an I refused to take a drug test, that is not true far from why,so I wondered if I had witnesses that works their saying their employees was spreading this lie could I make them pull them in the HR office an tell them that I wasn't fired because3 of drugs or drug test, this really hurts, what do I need to do, have a lawyer write a letter to HR lady asking her to do this, is the company partly lieable I need help..PLEASE.

Thank you for the information and your question. Although you could call HR and let them know what you have heard and ask them to intercede and try to stop the false rumor spreading, you can also contact a local attorney who can write a "Cease and Desist" letter to the person who is actually making the statement and the company both. What the letter generally says is that you have information that someone is making false statements of fact about you and that those statements are defamatory because they are hurting your reputation and that if they do not stop, you will exercise your legal rights (file suit for defamation of character.) That doesn't mean you have to sue, but often if you at least send those letters to these people, they get the message and stop. If they don't, then you still have the option to sue.

You would want to speak to a local trial/litigation attorney who handles non-physical injury torts (which is what defamation of character is) for the "Cease and Desist" letter.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you