Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Hello, I received a ticket 2 days ago in california for dumping

Hello, I received a ticket 2 days ago in california for dumping a cigarette bud on a road. The officer wrote on the traffic ticket that I was in violation of code 23111. I was researching, that under California code it was a fine of no less than 100.00 and a minimum of 8 hours of community service. Is that true? Because it seems really harsh for a first time offense.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, that unfortunately is true. I worked in a California traffic court and that is the penalty for cigarette violations. In most areas, the fine will be significantly higher than $100. The penalties for throwing a cigarette out of a car are harsh, even for a first offense. The DA cannot waive the community service requirement and is not able to lower the fine, because these are mandatory penalties. You do have the option of contesting the ticket, requesting a trial and forcing the state to prove that you did it. But if you are found guilty, the community service is mandatory and the fines will be high. If you cannot pay the fines, you can request a payment schedule or you can do additional community service.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.