How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex moved to massachusetts from new i better

This answer was rated:

my ex moved to massachusetts from new i better off filing for divorce in new hampshire or massachusetts....(she moved in 2009 we have one child between us)
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Massachusetts and New Hampshire are both marital property (not community property) states, so there's likely not much difference in filing either place - - property division, etc. should be very similar. Also, the age of majority for child support is the same for both states - - 18 - - so that wouldn't make any difference either.

From a convenience standpoint, it's much better for you to file in your home county and state. It will cost you much less to get it done, and you won't have to miss as much work to appear in court, etc. Thus, from that perspective, it would be much better to file at home.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

?? as i understand it, Massachusetts changed its laws regarding child support...she filed in mass because of the change...the minimum as it was told to me is 21 yrs old, if they don't go to college, and up to 26 years old if they do go to college??

The general age for child support to end is 18 under Mass law, but it can extend to 23 IF the child is still in college or dependent.

That's likely even a better reason to file in NH.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok...she already filed (and receives) child support through massachusetts...can i still file in NH for the divorce?

Yes - - you can file n the state of residence for the marriage, your current state of marriage or your ex's state of marriage. Either state would have jurisdiction.
Roger and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you