How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118699
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter had an apartment with a roommate who moved her

This answer was rated:

My daughter had an apartment with a roommate who moved her boyfriend in against the lease .my daughter moved out because the situation was unsafe . The leasing company told my daughter that because both names were on the lease she would still b equally responsible for the rent each month even though the rental agreement said no one else should live in the apartment without their approval. The leasing company refused to do anything. My daughter did not want her credit ruined so she moved back home and finished paying out her half of the rent for the last 3 months of the lease. The roommate moved out at the end of the lease ,but ran up a $150 water bill and has not paid it and probably will not. The leasing company sent a notice to my daughter saying she is equally liable and they will ruin her credit if it isn't paid. The roommate has moved but we don't know if there is a forwarding address .How can we find her new address? My daughter wants to take her to small claims court for the water bill and also for the 3 months of rent she paid and couldn't even live there in safety. Would she have a chance in small claims court to get her money back? But she would need to be able to find the roommate to have her served with the court papers.
Thank you for asking for me and for your question.

The first step is she will have to check with the landlord to determine the forwarding address. Second, she can check court records at the clerk's office to see if this roommate has any other suit filed from which she could find address. Finally, another option is to call or text the roommate and tell her that se has received money back from the landlord and she needs to give her the share she is due and see if the roommate will respond to the text with an address. If the roommate is in college she can also check with college directory as they many times have addresses. If not your daughter can serve the girl a work or at school.

These are really the only options to locate her without spending a fortune on a private investigator.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you