How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an acquaintance whom I met on an internet poker site.

This answer was rated:

I have an acquaintance whom I met on an internet poker site. She has become "obsessed" with me. She has resorted to sending my wife letters and calling my home leaving messages saying that we are having an affair. She is now threatening to come to my house and knock on the door. She lives in Ohio and I am in Pennsylvania. I need for this to stop NOW!!! Can I file a restraining order? How do I proceed? Thank You!

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry to hear of this matter

Do you know her name and address in Ohio?

Does she know your name and address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do know her name and address. She knows my name and address.


Thank you

Then I suggest the very first thing you need to do as a Prerequisite to anything is is write her a letter to immediately Cease and Desist any ad all contact. That her behavior is annoying and harassing. State that if she does not stop any and all contact you will have no other choice but to file for a Restraining Order against her.

This letter needs to be mailed Certified with a Return Receipt Requested.

Once you have done that, and you get the receipt of delivery back from the Post Office, if she continues then take a copy of the letter, the receipt and tell the Clerk of the court in your county that you need a Restraining Order against this person

You will then have to have a person in Ohio file this in the court in the county where she lives in Ohio and have her served with it.

Now, should you not want to do all that, the only thing you can do is the letter and then if she shows up at your door call the police and have her arrested for trespassing

I suggest that once she gets your letter her behavior will change and she will not contact you because such a letter shows you mean business.
Sam and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I contact an attorney here in Penna. and have him/her draw up the letter or just go to the restraining order directly?


Yes. Such a letter from an attorney will have a huge impact. You need a letter before you can apply for the RO

So either you write it or a local attorney does it for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!


You are welcome and good luck