How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husbands divorce requires him to provide $150,000 of life

This answer was rated:

My husbands divorce requires him to provide $150,000 of life insurance for his 2 minor sons as beneficiaries. What can we do to prevent his ex-wife from squandering this in the event of his death since she would be their legal guardian?
I noticed that we can choose a trust as beneficiary on our life insurance. I was thinking that we might be able to establish a revocable living trust for the boys that would specify how the life insurance money could be spent. Then, we would make the trust the beneficiary. Is this how it is done? I can't find anyone who knows anything about trusts.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That is a very good question. You can indeed set up a trust on their behalf, and set forth a trustee that is trusted by your husband to spend the funds or release the funds as necessary. What you are thinking of doing is quite reasonable--the trust would indeed be the beneficiary. You would need to create the trust up-front and at least partially fund it (say, by putting in $1.00), and you would need to ensure that the trustee is someone who is not going to squander the assets.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions