How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I have been trying to find or develop a form that will be legally

Customer Question

Hi. I have been trying to find or develop a form that will be legally accepted in my state and that says I am refusing any medical treatment in the event that I am ill or injured and cannot speak for myself. An advanced directive seems to be limited to situations in which the person is terminal or vegetative. The POLST form is closer to what I am looking for but seems to be aimed at people who are known to have an illness or medical condition that could cause cardiac or pulmonary arrest. I'm looking for a form that says flat out no, I am refusing any medical treatment under any circumstances. My goal here is to avoid spending any prolonged time receiving any medical treatment in any kind of a medical center. Please advise as to how I could find or create such a form and how I can make my wishes known immediately to any emergency personnel present if I cannot speak for myself.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 years ago.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

The document that you are looking for is an Advanced Directive. The form documents that you are looking at are most certainly those developed for end of life (or palliative) health care services, but you can modify that document to meet your specific needs and desires. The reason you will want to use a specific document "Advanced Directive" is that this is the document that will be recognized by healthcare providers in the event you are incapacitated. A different document that you draft yourself with a different title may or may not be recognized and physicians may be forced to treat you while getting a legal opinion on the validity of your wishes.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, there appears to be a problem with the browser interface and our system. I am going to transfer our conversation to our forum's "Q&A" format to ensure that you can read my response and that I can answer any questions you may have.

William B. Esq. :

I hope the above is helpful, if you have questions, please do post them and I will follow up, when posting a response, please identify the state you are writing from so that I can reference any specific laws if necessary (this regulatory scheme is fairly common between the states). Thank you for choosing Just Answer, and please do not forget to rate my answer when you are satisfied. Best regards, Bill.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologize. I'm sure you are perfectly qualified to answer legal questions but I originally asked the question of a medical expert at the cost of $16. The question was apparently put to a legal expert without my consent and the charge is much higher. I will not pay the higher charge and will have to disapprove your service.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 years ago.
Dear Customer,

I am happy that my service was of some assistance (this is a legal question not a medical one). But I understand your situation.

I will forward your question to our Customer Service.