How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an abandoned vehicle in my driveway. My sons friend

Customer Question

I have an abandoned vehicle in my driveway. My son's friend left it here several months ago. He has made no attempt to recover the car even though I have spoken to him several times. He has moved out of the state and no intention of returning any time soon. In the meantime I am stuck with the car. I do have the title, he left it here. This has been going on since early March of this year. He refuses to answer any calls, I'm not even sure if he has the same phone number. What legal right do I have to either sell it or have it towed?
Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If the car is in your driveway without permission, then the owner has created an "involuntary bailment" with you being the bailee. An involuntary bailment is when one party, the bailor, leaves personal property in the possession of the bailee without permission or consent. The bailor can return and take possession of the property at any time before the bailee terminates the bailment and the property is considered abandoned. A bailee can terminate an involuntary bailment by giving notice to the bailor that they need to come get the property or it will be considered abandoned and disposed of.


In order to legally terminate the bailment, you have to give written notice to the bailor at their last known address. If you can find out where the kid lives now, that is good. If not, then ask your son to see if he knows where he used to live and send it there. I would send it certified mail as well as first class mail in case they have a forwarding address with the post office. State that you are terminating the bailment and the bailor has 7 days to remove the property or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it. On day 8 if it is still there, you can dispose of it as abandoned by selling it as scrap, giving it away or having it towed.