How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34037
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a NJ resident. I am 20 week pregnant now and I am not

This answer was rated:

I am a NJ resident. I am 20 week pregnant now and I am not married to the baby's father. There are a lot of things I could not compromise with the baby's father so I decide not to marry him. I have a decent job and a home property. I can financially support my baby. Also, my mom can fully support me to take care of the baby when I go to work. Even though it is uncertain that the baby's father will financially support the baby or not (because he might promise one thing and then not do it), I would still name my baby's last name as the father's last name because I am quite traditional. I think the child deserves to have the father's last name regardless the father supports the child financially or not. So far I understand as a single mom, I have a full custody of my child. My questions are: 1) Will there be a problem when I travel with my baby and go through the custom if the baby's last name is XXXXX XXXXX my maiden name? I can provide a birth certificate to prove I am the mother but not sure if this is enough document. 2) Will there be a lot of questions asked or issues when I start helping my baby to apply for school if his last name is XXXXX XXXXX mine? 3) Given the above, do I need an attorney to file any paper to prove that I have a full custody of my child? Really appreciate for any guidance you can provide.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

You are correct, as a single mom with no court order to the contrary, you have full legal and physical custody.

So long as there is no dispute, such as a petition filed by the father for joint custody, there is not going to be any questions regarding you maternal custody rights and a birth certificate is all you would need to provide as prima facie evidence of those maternal rights.

There are no special questions going to be asked of you when your child goes to school, as blended families are nothing new and the schools are used to families with multiple names. Nor is there anything special your attorney needs to do unless the father initiates something to get a change in the status quo.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Cecelia, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.