How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118793
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a construction company as a carpenter that just

This answer was rated:

I work for a construction company as a carpenter that just closed their doors. I now have a check that bounced and I still have 52 hours they didn't pay. I wanted to put a lien on the building I was working on but was told I can't lien a public building. Is there something else I can do.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you. Unfortunately, government property cannot be subject to a contractor's lien. However, all government contractors are supposed to have construction bonds when they take out these contracts so you need to find out who the bond company was on the project, which is a matter of public records with the contract, and you need to file a claim with the bond company for your wages due. You can also sue the construction company for wages and seek to place liens on their property/equipment for the wages.

These are your options. The bond company should be your first step and then seeking to place liens on the construction company's equipment if they own any.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you