Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How many years of financial records is the P.R required to

show to beneficiary from...
How many years of financial records is the P.R required to show to beneficiary from the time of death? in the state of Idaho.
9/1/2013

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Generally speaking for every year the estate is open, the beneficiary is entitled to obtain records. Typically the cut-off for a full audit is 7 years, but as estates tend to be active for about 1-3 years on average, it almost never gets to that cut-off. If the estate has been in existence for 2 years, as an example, the beneficiary is entitled to see the records for both of those years.

Good luck.

Thank you for your follow-up, Owen.

In your other thread you posted:
WHAT ABOUT THE RECORDS THE P.R IS REQUIRED TO SHOW IF ANY OF THE DECEASED PERSONS FINANCES PRIOR TO DEATH?
------------------------
Generally records "prior" to death are not the P.R.'s responsibility unless the P.R. was also a guardian of the deceased prior to death. At most the P.R. is responsible for filing taxes for the last year of the deceased's life, but those records are generally not for the beneficiary's review, but review for the IRS, the state agencies, and the courts--beneficiaries are not automatically entitled for those records. They can subpoena them, but the P.R. does not have to provide them as a matter of course. And there is no requirement that the P.R. maintain such records because those records are in place before the P.R. got involved in managing the estate.

Good luck.

If I'm understanding you correct the P.R. is not required to show any of the beneficiaries any bank statements prior to the P.R. taking control of the estate?

That is correct, Owen. If he wasn't in charge of the estate, he is not required to provide records for that period of time.

Good luck.

Can you tell me what the Idaho law is that I can look up that tells that?

Owen,

The previous professional already linked you directly to the code in his answer--the response would be located there. Please be well!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney