Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I supposedly won a bid on an auction site for a piece of property

I supposedly won a bid on an auction site for a piece of property in another state. The seller lied about the actual value of the property. So I contacted the FBI, IC3. I filed a claim and now the seller is saying that I must submit legal information as to the actual value of the property and have it notarized and delivered by Monday or else. What are my options?
Jeff Quinn XXX-XXX-XXXX
Thank you for your question.

Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. You stated that the seller lied about value. How did you learn of the deception? Did you do your own surveying or obtain value of comparable propertis in the area where you purchased this land?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found about it after the auction site notified me of the winning bid. I had contacted one of the Realtor listed on the Zillow site that the seller provided a link with. After contacting her through email. She went the next day to view the property that the link showed her which was an adjacent site. She then sent me a copy of the tax card that that county uses. Which show the actual value placed by the county. She then stated that the properties in that area area range from 500-3,500 per lot depending on the location to the lake. She also supplied photos of the lot she looked at.

Jeff,

Thank you for your follow-up. What exactly then was the misrepresentation, what information that she provided to you was incorrect? Or the fact you thought you were purchasing an adjacent lot is why you feel this was a fraudulent transaction?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The ad placed on line showed a mobile home with a photo of the kitchen. and priced at 39K. The County tax assessor lists the property at 4,000 and has a different photo of the building listed.

Jeff,

That is a most substantial and a most material change. Did the seller promise to put a mobile home on premises after purchase, or just sell it to you 'as is' and not as advertised?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was sold as is, But under the Dodd-Frank bill doesn't he have to put that correct value of the property?

Jeff,

He absolutely does have the duty to accurately reflect the value of the property, describe amenities or defects with the property, and provide you with as honest of an evaluation as possible. If the assessment showed the value to be $40K and it was actually $4K, that is a most substantial difference in value, and I can see why you believed that this was a fraudulent transaction. This is something the state's Attorney General's office would likewise need to review and investigate (IC3 is more for online scams such as overseas money or lottery scams although they can likewise review this as a potential violation). However the seller's demand for proof is likewise valid--if you are accusing him of substantially misrepresenting the state and value of the lot, you are required to substantiate your claims--sending evidence based on actual images based on what you were sold, and actual assessment value is exactly what you need to do so as to try to cancel this contract.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has decided that I am just too much trouble and has decided to refund my money.

That is fantastic, and congratulations!