How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Truck with trailer attached(mowers and lawncare equipment on

This answer was rated:

Truck with trailer attached(mowers and lawncare equipment on trailer and on truck bed) taken from home without permission. Driver had no license and was charged with DUI after wrecking truck and trailer. Had insurance for truck and trailer but it did not cover the equipment. Home owners insurance will cover the equipment is stolen and wrecked. Do i filed charges for unathorized use of the vehicle or do i file it as a stolen vehicle?

Thank you for your question.

When you say you have the option to file for unauthorized use or as stolen, can you explain further? Is this a choice the police are presenting to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, those are choices we have been given by the police and insurance companies involved. My concern is that if we file as unauthorized use, my homeowners insurance might not considered it as theft and there not be covered under my homeowners insurance.. When I asked them this question, their response was I'll have to decide for myself.

I would argue that unauthorized use and theft are the same thing. One may carry a stiffer criminal penalty than the other, but they should both be covered by the insurance policy.

What I would recommend doing is to contact your insurance carrier and ask them specifically whether the policy would cover damage caused by unauthorized use. If they say only theft, then you need to report it as a theft.
TexLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you