How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a summons to go to small claims court. Am I able

This answer was rated:

I received a summons to go to small claims court. Am I able to contact the court ahead of the scheduled date and request a different date? it has been scheduled for the 23rd and my daughter is getting married on the 20th and I will be out of town. Is there a form to file and who/where do I contact to reschedule the hearing?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

What you need to file in this instance is a called a 'motion for continuance'. There is no form, and in small claims you can simply write a letter to the judge explaining why you need to reschedule. Contact the clerk in the courthouse where this case is being heard first and ask if a letter is sufficient (it should be but some rare judges want a more formal motion). Then, if that is enough, in the letter reference the case and docket number, explain why this date does not work, and request a new date and time. That type of a request, especially due to the reason you mentioned, should be granted.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you