How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned my girlfriend $5300 to help her purchase a vehicle

This answer was rated:

I loaned my girlfriend $5300 to help her purchase a vehicle back in march or april of this year. We have since broken up and i am having problems collecting. Unfortunately i did not have her sign a written contract. Is there anything i can do?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If this was a loan and she has failed to pay you back, you certainly have a legal right to sue her. The fact that this was not in writing, does not mean you can not sue her to collect, it just means you may have a harder time proving the terms and conditions of the loan. It is going to be your word against hers. If you have text messages or emails which reference the loan, you can certainly use those to support your position. Moreover, the burden would be on you, as the moving party, to establish this was a loan and not a gift, seeing how you were dating at the time and her possible making that very claim, as a defense.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has already said that she will tell them it was a gift. Do you have any thoughts on ways i can prove it was not a gift. She has made a few payments already so it clearly was not a gift. Would receipts for her payments help in court. And what if she says she never made any payments and never got receipts?

Yes, if you have receipts, it would contradict her claim that it was a gift. The reason being, is that if it was a gift, why would she be trying to pay you back. In addition, you have your own testimony, which is evidence and for the Judge to consider. If she says she never made any payments, a copy of the receipts which you have and/or canceled checks, would discredit her testimony and create doubt as to if she is telling the truth.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you