How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Social Security wont give me money that is owed to me from

This answer was rated:

Social Security wont give me money that is owed to me from my Ex-husband, I found out from S.S. he passed away, they wont tell me when, S.S. wont give money from his S.S. unless I'divorsed, I have been married to this husband for 25 ys. I found out there is no Final Decree of divorce, from dead husband, I have certificate, divorce costs THOUSANDS of dollars, but there is no property, children are 40 and 50 years old, we have nothing.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Are you saying you were never legally divorced from your first husband that just died?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, no Decree of divorce, didn't realize it, I have been married to dead husband for 50 years, when filed for divorce, very young ages 20 and 26. I have certificate stamped and signed by Court, I mailed request to Los Angeles Court, COMPLETE FILE.

Thank you for your response.

Since you never legally completed the divorce to your first husband, the new marriage to your current husband would be void and invalid. However, I am confused as to whose benefits you are trying to claim, first husband's benefits as surviving spouse or the current husband's benefits.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your response.

Yes to which one? I asked you two different questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am trying to claim benefits from the First husband, who passed away, my current husband is only 56, he has a long way to his benefits, I'm 68, I doubt if I will live that long to collect his benefits, he has been driving a Taxi for about 12 yrs. he has not put any money into his S.S. he did, when he was working at regular jobs.

Thank you for clarification.

Since you were never actually divorced from your first husband, your new marriage is not valid. Thus you are not legally married to your new husband according to CA law. If you were married to the first husband for all of this time you need to provide proof to the SSA that you were never properly divorced and as such you would be entitled to the surviving spouse benefits from SSA.

You need to file a written appeal to SSA and provide proof that no decree of divorce was ever filed in the first marriage, so by CA law you are still legally married to your first husband. If they deny your written appeal, then you will need an attorney who will have to file for a hearing with SSA and will have to go before the administrative judge and provide the evidence that you were never divorced and as such are still the surviving spouse and you have not remarried because your current "marriage" is void because you were never properly divorced.

As far as your new marriage, you should not do anything to remarry, leave the marriage void in order to collect your benefits based on your first husband.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you