How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. What court do you have to file a lawsuit in the state

This answer was rated:

Hello. What court do you have to file a lawsuit in the state of Minnesota regarding a licensing agreement. The licensing agreement is about Intellectual Property. The agreement is controlled by the laws of the state of Minnesota. Thanks very much in advance.

Thank you for your question.

Generally, where you are filing a lawsuit depends on what kind of relief your are seeking. If you are seeking equitable relief (i.e., an order from the court for the other party to do something, or to refrain from doing something), then you must file the case in district court.

If you are seeking only monetary damages, and those damages are less than $10,000.00, you can file the case in Conciliation Court.

You would need to file the case in the court which is nearest the defendant, or where the licensing agreement was to be performed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Based on what you are saying, I believe you would file the case in the District Court.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide and please rate this answer so that I am compensated.