How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16720
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I I sent a payment for a worthless check and they sent it back

This answer was rated:

I I sent a payment for a worthless check and they sent it back to me
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please provide me with the details related to the situation in question, so I can better understand it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i had a bad check from about 7 years ago and i am trying to get a passport and i was trying to settle all my fines so i wouldnt have any problem getting my passport. i called to see how much my check was. They told me, i got a money order and sent the amount to the address they gave me and they sent the money order back.

Thank you for your follow up.

Who are "they"? Where did you send a money order?

Why is this effecting your ability to get US Passport?

Were you charged with a crime as a result of this worthless check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

madison county worthless check unit. i live in mississippi. i wasnt charged but because i never paid it, there is a warrant out for my arrest and i thought you couldn,t get a passport with warrants

Thank you for your follow up.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, that means there is at least one pending criminal charge against you and the reason the worthless check unit asked you to send them a payment, is simply to try to locate your current residence so you can be apprehended on this criminal arrest warrant.

Unfortunately, you would not be able to obtain a passport or clear an arrest warrant, without surrendering in Madison county and going through the processing and you would also have to face any criminal charges related to this worthless check, before you will be able to obtain a passport and clear the warrant.

This is a very serious situation and the criminal charge that you are facing can either be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the amount of worth less check so I would strongly suggest that you consult and retain local criminal defense attorney to help you resolve this matter.

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i contacted them first to see how much i owed and they gave me all the info.

I understand, but you do need to clear the arrest warrant and the criminal charges, before you will be able to obtain a passport or a driver license (if you have to renew your current one).

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you