Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hi, I have an estranged step parent who is in possession

I have an estranged step parent who is in possession of my birth certificate, passport, and college degrees. He's an unpleasant person that I'd rather not deal with. What would be the easiest way for me to recover these documents from his possession aside from going through the proper channels to purchase replacements?

Thanks
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The best way perhaps would be a threatening letter demanding them back, or else one would file for Writ of Replevin.

Under RULE 4:61, a Writ of Replevin may be issued by the Court upon request if a Defendant (them) is holding something that rightfully belongs to Plaintiff (you).

Often, the party will acquiesce and return the items to avoid expensive litigation. An attorney's letter normally carries more gravitas, but let me know if you need a sample of such a letter.

For the law on Writ of Replevin, see here. Normally, said writ applies to larger items, but nothing states that documentation cannot be attached, either.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response. I have been told by a number of people that I could also go to the local PD and ask for an escort to retrieve the items. Would this be possible since there's no disputing that they belong to me?

Friend,

Not unless you have your name on the property's lease/deed where the items are being held. If so, then yes.

If not, then the police are less willing to help unless THEY agree to allow you to come.