How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 795
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we live in st.louis mo. uninsured moterist ran into side of

This answer was rated:

we live in st.louis mo. uninsured moterist ran into side of our garage causing $4000.00 damage plus $2500.00 damage to my truck. she gave police insurance card when we called it was expired. she has only had car for 2 wk. can i go after loan co. for not making sure she had insurance ? this happened Aug. 23 2013 she bought from enterprise but do not know where it was fianaced.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

I am sorry to hear about the damage done to your property. Fortunately no one was injured.

While lenders require borrowers to insure vehicles which have outstanding loans, a lenders is not responsible for damage caused by vehicles for which they loaned purchase money. If they learn borrower has permitted insurance to lapse, they obtain a policy which insures their interest in the vehicle only and not the driver's interest or for damage caused by the driver.

You options are to 1) contact the motorist to see if she made a mistake in providing you the wrong policy information; 2) contact the police who did the accident report and inform them that the vehicle was not insured, they can file an additional charge for driving without insurance and perhaps one for providing false information about having insurance; 3) submit a claim for the damage to your insurance company and let them pursue the driver; or 4) file a civil suit against the driver yourself.

If a citation was issued that requires the driver to appear in court, you may want to contact the prosecutor and advise them about the insurance. Depending upon the charge the court can order the driver to pay restitution for the damages.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you