LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
58185682

Im not an American citizen, I go to school in Arizona State

I'm not an American citizen, I go to school in Arizona State University. I got 2 tickets last night (under age consumption, obstructing public thoroughfare) while the arrest was happening my jaw got broken and they got me hospitalized pretty bad and they send me to hospital with an ambulance. I want to sue them because the sheriff used excessive brutal force on me.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

Can you provide me some more details. Where did the arrest or the encounter in which you were injured occur?
Do you know if your arrest and encounter when your were hurt was captured on video? Were there police cars present that may have had video cameras? Or did it happen where there were surveillance cameras?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did not take me to a jail. I believe it was not an arrest. I only got 2 tickets. I am also not sure that police had cameras. What you recommend me to do ? I'm still at a hospital. I might get a surgery. Do I have a chance to win the case if I sue them ?

Where were you when you were injured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Spence and East Rural Road, Tempe

First off, I am sorry to hear about how you were treated by the police. Even if there is a legitimate reason to arrest someone, there is no reason to use excessive force against a person.

I was asking you where it happened to determine what the likelihood there are cameras that may have recorded the incident. You should send someone out to see if there are any cameras and then ask the businesses to preserve the video.

Also you should contact a civil rights attorney who is experienced in handling police brutality and excessive force cases as soon as you are able. You want to take steps to preserve evidence as soon as you can. Some businesses reuse recording tapes on a very short cycle. Sometimes just a few days.

Also police agencies have retention policies for recordings and other records. So the sooner that you can take steps to preserve items the more evidence you will have of the incident.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Can you tell me what additional information you are looking for that I did not provide? I know that you asked what your chances of winning are if you sue. It is premature to make any predictions. You have to know what evidence is available before you can even think about evaluating your chances at trial?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I send a friend to check it out and he could not detect any cameras around should I still hold a chance becasue they gave me a broken jaw ? If I'm not gonna be able hold a chance it would be pointless. Do you have any suggestions ?

Yes, you would have a chance at success. The police are going to have justify the use of force they used against you. Also police agencies routinely require officers to write and document when they use force in a use of force report. You attorney should be able to obtain a copy of these reports and use them as part of your case. Many times police officer contradict each other when writing these reports. Also they maybe contradicted by any video that the police may have also.

I enjoyed answering your question a few days ago. I just wanted to contact you to see if you needed any further assistance.

Also if you have not yet rated my answer, please do so. This the way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks.