How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34459
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently served a lien on my home by the contractor.

This answer was rated:

I was recently served a lien on my home by the contractor. First, I have read that NE requires a prelien notice prior to serving lien. Second, we had our house remodeled (1600 sq ft) paid $147,000.00 & holding back about $10,000.00 due to 2 costly sitsuations pending: hardwood floors are bowing, soft spots etc due to being laid incorrectly and an custom kitchen cabs have sev. issues that t have been aware of now for a couple of months. What is my recourse? Should I obtain legal counsel? these guys are so off base.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Failure to file the preliminary notice can be a fatal flaw in the lien if you are a protected party and more than 120 days has passed since work or materials was last provided. If the 120 day deadline has not passed, they can release the lien, serve a notice and refile the lien.

In any event, your first action would be a demand letter, sent certified mail, to the contractor ordering the unlawful lien removed from your property.

If that fails to get the satisfactory results then you would need to file suit.

Since lien law is all by statute and deadlines and proper forms are critical, an attorney is highly recommended.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

your answer was helpful but I am under the understanding that I will be able to ask other questions as they come up..for how long a period? thx

I just answer the legal questions. If you have a subscription plan issue or question, you need to contact customer service.

However, I am happy to answer your follow up questions until you are satisfied.

Thank you.

Loren and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Cheryl, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.