Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Two years ago I sent a valuable mirror ($22,000) to a restorer

in NYC. She has been...
Two years ago I sent a valuable mirror ($22,000) to a restorer in NYC. She has been in business thirty years and is well regarded. After she received the mirror I went to NYC to discuss the restoration. She suggested one method but after talking to a different restorer who is a mirror specialist, I learned the method proposed by the original restorer will not work. She is not a mirror expert.
She never sent me an estimate nor any timetable for the restoration. Since I have not heard from her I called her studio but the voice mail would not take any messages. So I left a message to call me with the superintendant of her building. I also sent her an email. No responses at all from her. I doubt very much that she has stolen the mirror. She is just being difficult. I have her home phone number and address. Should I just try to phone her at home and maybe send a certified letter to her house? What if she refuses the certified letter? I will be in NYC in three weeks. I am fairly certain that her studio will be open. The superintendent said he had seen her at her studio recently.
I want to avoid a confrontation as there may be some perfectly logical reason why the restorer has not responded. Her ex-partner told me that the restorer in question is terrible about answering phone calls. Yet there is something fishy about this. I want to send her a non-confrontational letter saying that the mirror will be picked up by such and such moving company on a certain date and that she has my permission to release my property. Pretend there is nothing wrong and that I have no suspicions. Tell her to choose another date if the one I suggest is not convenient. What do you think? Its not just a misunderstanding. She may demand "rent" but she did nothing to restore the mirror or even give me a proposal. Can she withold the mirror until she extorts "rent" from me?
I have dealt with many restorers and had the same problem with another restorer years ago. I had to take him to court. He was just being difficult for no apparent reason. I live in Fl while she is in NYC.
8/23/2013
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Unless there was some sort of agreement, you can not be charged storage fees. Additionally, if no work has been done they must release your property. If she did work without authorization she is not even entitled to payment.

Unfortunately, if they refuse to release the mirror you will need to sue. The letter is a good idea to let them know you are looking to retrieve your property. Follow it up with a phone call.

It sounds like, at this point, it is not a crisis. It is just a miscommunication.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw

Loren, Attorney
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Loren, Attorney