Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a building use renewal agreement for space at our Church

Customer Question

I have a building use renewal agreement for space at our Church to be used by a college for a toddler program. They base the fees on the number of classes that are filled which requires 6 classrooms or $175 per class per month for 9 months.

Ths year the agreement they sent also includes the additional use of our nursery room and a closet for storage. The nursery is to be available during the same hours of operation as the other 6 classrooms.

The closet is to be used for 9 months all the time.

I am going to red line the agreement to include the nursery for $100 per month for 9 months and the closet for $25 per month.

Is it best to charge per room or per square footage for the use of our facilities? How would I go about finding the rate of sq footage if that is best?

Thanks,

Julia
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Generally, commercial rentals are by total square footage, but you have already set up on per room basis. The WA state average per sq foot for commercial rentals average between about $3-$6 per sq. foot. However, your situation is a bit different in that you are a non-profit renting to a college and not a regular business and renting by room is acceptable and done often, but that is up to your discretion. To find the exact sq. foot rate for your area of the city you will have to contact a local commercial real estate agent or you need to call around to some other buildings similar to your building to find the rates specific to you specific area of the city.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.