How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 year old daughter has been diagnosed with alcoholic dependency

This answer was rated:

My 20 year old daughter has been diagnosed with alcoholic dependency leading to suicidal behavior. I found a driver license in her purse from her 21 year old girlfriend in order to enter and drink in bars. Does this constitute contributing to the delinquency of a minor (the girlfriend knowingly gave the license to my daughter) and do I have any legal (civil) recourse after my daughter tried to commit suicide when she slammed her car into the back of a 18 wheeler after a night of partying based on her ability to get into these drinking establishments?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

No, I am very sorry to say you do not have any rights to sue anyone for this matter. You have a right to file a criminal complaint against the friend for giving the license to your daughter, but your daughter legally in FL is NOT a minor any longer, even though she is not yet of the legal drinking age.

The age of majority in FL is 18, despite the drinking age being 21, and the friend is guilty of aiding and abetting underage consumption of alcohol, but not contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The friend is also guilty of misusing her license, which would get her license suspended for up to 1 year.

However, as far as a civil suit, any civil suit would have to be brought by your daughter against the friend and it would be based on negligence in allowing your daughter to use the license.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response in these difficult times. I'm trying to make a case to my daughter and her friends about taking responsibilities for their decisions, being right or wrong. I know my daughter won't take action against her friend but I needed some answers to see what my options are. I'm not one to usually provide parenting by threats and blackmail but we're getting desperate trying to figure thru her addictions. This is her fourth accident already in 3 1/2 years of driving and we've had enough.


Thanks again for the advice. Gordon

Thank you for your response.

I understand how difficult this is for you.

Your best option is to contact the police or DA and provide them the information that the friend provided your daughter her license voluntarily to use to obtain alcohol and then let the police/DA pursue criminal charges against the friend to make her take responsibility. Of course, even though your daughter is alcohol dependent, she too as an adult has responsibility for her actions as well. Everyone should take their responsibility here.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions