Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can a marriage change a beneficiary? First wife name is the

Can a marriage change a beneficiary? First wife name is XXXXX XXXXX on group life insurance through railroad in a marriage of 28 years. New wife of 3 years before his death in Indiana.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Can a marriage change a beneficiary?

I hate to say it, but yes, it does automatically revoke any designation in favor of the former spouse.. Under Indiana law, it states that when a divorce occurs any beneficiary designation is revoked as of the date the divorce is final.
.
Indiana Code 32-17-14-23 Effict of divorce or annulment
.
(a) If, after an owner makes a beneficiary designation, the owner's marriage is dissolved or annulled, any provision of the beneficiary designation in favor of the owner's former spouse is revoked on the date the marriage is dissolved or annulled. Revocation under this subsection is effective regardless of whether the beneficiary designation refers to the owner's marital status. The beneficiary designation is given effect as if the former spouse had not survived the owner.
.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.
Thanks
(a) If, after an owner makes a beneficiary designation, the owner's marriage is dissolved or annulled, any provision of the beneficiary designation in favor of the owner's former spouse is revoked on the date the marriage is dissolved or annulled. Revocation under this subsection is effective regardless of whether the beneficiary designation refers to the owner's marital status. The beneficiary designation is given effect as if the former spouse had not survived the owner. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/32/17/14/32-17-14-23#sthash.UHD6hFjS.dpuf
Indiana Code - Section 32-17-14-23: Effect of divorce or annulment - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/32/17/14/32-17-14-23#sthash.UHD6hFjS.dpuf
Indiana Code - Section 32-17-14-23: Effect of divorce or annulment - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/32/17/14/32-17-14-23#sthash.UHD6hFjS.dpu