How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of DUI charges in Jan. 2010 and my probation

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of DUI charges in Jan. 2010 and my probation is 2 years. I did not have a need to drive until now can I get my license reinstate or should I just apply for a new license? Also will I need any special documents if I am applying for a new license?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I need to know what state your license was revoked, please?

What is the reason you need to be re instated?

Is your probation over since this was in 2010?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My license was revoked in the state of California and my probation is over. I need the license re instated so I can start driving to work; however, I currently live in North Carolina


If you have successfully completed the probation as to the terms and conditions set forth in California, then I suggest you get a letter from you CA Probation Department reflecting the same or from the Docket Entries at the Clerk's office in CA where you were convicted.

Take that to the NC DMV and get your license.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



For the DUI charge I had a legal representative handle my case and I do not know too much details except for the result. Please kindly advise how should I go about getting the necessary documentation.


thank you


Thank you

I suggest you call the clerk of the court in the CALIFORNIA county where you were convicted. Ask how to make a request for the docket entries in your case - it may have to be put in writing. Tell the clerk to please review those entries to ensure your successful completetion of your probation is reflected.

IF it is NOT, then you need to contact your Probation department and get a letter so that you can file that with the court and also have it to present to the NC DMV

There will be a nominal fee for the clerk to forward any information to you. So you may want to ask about what it is.
Sam and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you