How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a 69 year old disabled vet who receives only Social

Customer Question


I am a 69 year old disabled vet who receives only Social Security each month. Last year my wife and I spent twenty thousand dollars of our savings to have solar panels installed on our home. In the seven months since the installation our electric bills have been higher than last year.

Our system says we have produced over 11,00o kw although we have not received any credit from Reliant. After months of calling and having the meter changed we finally dis covered that we were not getting credit because we failed to inform Reliant that we were a "generator". Moreover, we were told we would get no credit period.

No one told us that we had to inform Reliant. Plus we had been complaining numerous times and no told. They did put a solar power sticker on the meter.

Why are Reliant abusing senior citizens like us and what recourse do we have?

Robert and Marilyn McKnight XXXXX
Pasadena Texas
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There are numerous complaints about Reliant Energy, see Pissed Customer. If your contract guarantees you the 9.1kw and guarantees you credits, then your recourse I am afraid is to file suit against them in court for breach of contract as well as financial abuse of the elderly and unfair and deceptive trade practices which can entitle you to up to triple damages and attorney's fees against the company.

You can also report them to the Utilities Commission at for them not honoring your contract. Furthermore you can report them to the Texas Attorney General for unfair and deceptive practices and financial abuse to the elderly.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your rating. I have answered the question you asked, "what recourse do we have," and you did not ask any follow up questions so I have no way to know what more you would have wanted that I could provide you.

I understand you do not like what Reliant is doing to you and yet you are now doing the same to us, but if you would like more information PLEASE use "reply" and ask us and we are more than willing to continue working with you to answer any specific questions you would like more information on.

Related Legal Questions