How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to a gun shop tomorrow to sell my mothers gun. The

This answer was rated:

I am going to a gun shop tomorrow to sell my mothers gun. The shop owner says his receipt of sale releases my mother from any future responsabilities and the sale can be done tomorrow. We are in Rhode Island. He says it is a different story if I sell to a person privately than a gun shop
Is that correct?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Did the mother legally transfer this gun to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry my mother is here with me and will be selling it. I am only helping her. It is in her name

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for your follow up.

The gun dealer / shop is actually correct.

If you sell the gun back to the Federally licensed firearms dealer, your transaction will be legally documented and your mother will in fact be released from any liability for this gun once it is sold.

If you do a private sale, your mother can still be subject to liability, as it is difficult to document a private sale and to make it official, while the sale to an FFL licensed dealer would be much better option.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you