How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27583
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned a man almost a year ago this sept. I have fought to

This answer was rated:

I loaned a man almost a year ago this sept. I have fought to get the money back leally and hired a detective too.The guy then sent me 1500.00 and that was it.Now I have to go after him again.What do I do??
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. How much money is still owed? Do you have anything in writing? Also, what State are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I loaned him 6500.00. he paid back 2100 after I got a person after him legally. that was about 2 months ago I do have proof on paper yes I do. It will be a year in Sept.

oops sorry for the caps





Thank you for the additional information. If the amount still owed is $4400, then this would likely be a matter for small claims court. If you have the agreement in writing, you can certainly proceed and file a claim and sue him to collect for the breach. The clerk of court has the forms for you to fill out and file, to start this. He will be served with a copy of the summons and complaint and need to raise any legal defenses he may have. If he fails to do so and a judgment is ordered in your favor, he would need to pay. If he fails to do so, you could go back and enforce the judgment, seeking to garnish his wages or go after his assets. It is obvious that he is unwilling to pay unless you put the pressure on him, so a lawsuit will certainly make him aware of your intent to collect.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you