Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

We offer pharmacy technician certification courses in our building.

We offer pharmacy technician certification courses in our building. At the end of the week, one of the students brought in a partial bottle of wine to celebrate. One of the employees confiscated the wine from the student. There are no regulations against alcohol on premises. Is there a potential legal action that the student could take against us? Thank you.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

There is a potential action or two but nothing that would actually be likely to happen.

JD 1992 :

He could sue for conversion, which is the civil version of theft, but all he could recover would be for the value of the confiscated wine.

JD 1992 :

If you're not a governmental entity of any kind then it wouldn't be a civil rights violation.

Customer:

We are just a small school, and one of the employees was shocked about the bottle of wine. Apparently, many students had been drinking on it for the week and decided to bring it in on the last day to celebrate. For some reason, one of the employees immediately took it away from them.

JD 1992 :

There could also be something like harassment but, again, no real damages.

JD 1992 :

Is this a private school?

Customer:

yes

JD 1992 :

The real concern would be a civil rights violation argument but it wouldn't apply to your situation.

Customer:

Good. Thank you.

JD 1992 :

I don't see any real lawsuits available.

JD 1992 :

You may want to talk to the employee but that is just to make sure nothing worse happens in the future.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with before I exit to help others?

Customer:

No, thank you!

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) so I get credit for my work.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.