Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have been served a confession of judgment. Whats nest? Do

I have been served a confession of judgment. Whats nest? Do I respond to anyone?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Is that all you received was the confession of judgment?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

There was an order signed by the Clerk of court to pay the amount in full now. This I cannot do.

JD 1992 :

Were you ever served in this case with the original lawsuit?

Customer:

I first received a form from a lawyer that I owed the hospital money. I made arrangements for payment. She forced me to an amount that I thought I could pay starting in 3-2012. Circumstances has left me unalbe to pay this. My husband owned his own business but the the economy business became slow and he was only able to get 10 paydays (weekly) out of 56. then in Oct of 2012 the IRS took over and he had to sell the business. He is currently unemployed and my income is the only one. The lawyer has been kept informed of all of this and she knows I can't pay it in full. Then we received a confession of judgment from this lawyer with a signed order by the Clerk of Court.

JD 1992 :

A confession of judgment is something that you are sent when they are wanting you to admit that you owe a certain amount of money. It takes the place of them actually having to go to court and prove their damages.

JD 1992 :

If you want to agree to what is on the confession of judgment then you can sign on the blank with your name and send it back. If you don't want to then you just don't sign.

JD 1992 :

The only advantage is it usually decreases the amount of the attonrey's fees they ask for.

Customer:

Ok, so this means there not gonna take our bank accout or put a lien on anything. Right?

JD 1992 :

The judgment itself acts as a lien on property. Once you sign it they can then file to garnish your wages or seize your bank account.

Customer:

GREAT!!! Will they serve something else before they seize the bank account?

JD 1992 :

No, not usually. What usually happens is they garnish it and then you get notice.

Customer:

ok thanks. You have been a great help.

JD 1992 :

You're welcome.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.