How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a US citizen and I live in New York City. My LEGAL

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a US citizen and I live in New York City. My LEGAL DOMESTIC PARTNER passed away a few months ago. My name is XXXXX XXXXX DEATH CERTIFICATE. He left credit card debts. He didn't leave any money or property. At this point, there are letters coming in the mail from collection companies for those debts. My question is:
Do I have any responsibility on his debts that may allow the collectors to take legal actions against me and should I send his DEATH CERTIFICATE to those companies?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

If your Domestic Partnership is registered then any debt that was incurred during the span of your relationship can be your responsibility. Any debt that was incurred before the registration would he a separate debt

However, if does not hurt to send them a letter stating that the holder of the debt has died, when they died and enclose a copy of the death cert and see what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

What could happen if I decide not to send the Death Certificate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Well, if your name is XXXXX XXXXX his, then they could send this to court for a judgment against you.

I apologize for the delay in this response, as I am just now seeing it.

I suggest if you do not want to send them the Death Cert. then return the letters unopened as Addressee Deceased and see how that goes.
Sam and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you