How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who do I serve if Im suing a county, a sheriffs department

This answer was rated:

Who do I serve if I'm suing a county, a sheriff's department and a police department? My case is already filed and I'm up to the part where I have to have the defendants served. It's a federal case.


The County Sheriff is an elected official who holds a constitutionally created office - usually. Therefore you would serve the summons upon the Sheriff himself. The Chief of Police is not a constitutional officer. S/he is an employee of the city. Therefore you usually serve the highest officer of the city, I.e, Mayor, President of the Board who hired the chief. Check your local rules of procedure and state statutes. It is usually required that the City/County Attorney also be served even though s/he is not a named defendant . You can't go wrong doing it.

I hope that this information is helpful. If not, and you need further information, please do not rate this Answer and just send me a Reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be compensated for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Irwin Law and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didn't know that there was a city or county attorney. Thank you.

Hello & thanks for the rating. If your city or county has a website listing the officials, the county attorney is usually listed. The city attorney might be on the city's website.