How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

had a civil judgement filed against me in 2003 in the amount

This answer was rated:

had a civil judgement filed against me in 2003 in the amount of 2700.00 from State Farm insurance, they suspended my license and now to get it back, the attorney handling the case is saying i need to pay a total of 5000.00 lump sum. Is this an accurate amount and is there something i can do to help my case...a speedy reply would be greatly appreciated....thank you

Thank you for your question.

The fact that the attorney is asking for $5k now when the judgment was for $2700 means that there has been post judgment interest added to the unpaid amount, which is generally required under the law for any judgment which remains unpaid. In Hawaii, the post judgment interest rate is 10% per year. Thus, you actually would owe $5,400.00 on the judgment on a straight interest calculation.

So, this seems like a good offer. It also means that there may be further room to compromise and you should try to make an offer under $5,000 to see if the lawyer would be interested in taking it.

TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you