How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27184
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turned in a Leased car 3 yrs early in tip top condition.

This answer was rated:

I turned in a Leased car 3 yrs early in tip top condition. The vehicle was sold at auction on 7-29-13. Now the company is telling me that I owe them $5600.00 for the difference. They told me that he vehicle sold for $23,100.00 at auction but are not showing me any bill of sale. The figures that I was sent amounted to 14,600.00. So I asked where was the other $9000.00 dollars, I was told it went to them. What can I do in this matter.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You have every legal right to ask that they provide an itemized bill, that breaks down the fees and costs, association with their demand. I am willing to bet that not only are they seeking the balance but are adding in other fees, costs and interest, to come to this amount. In addition, you can always negotiate and settle with them, offering an amount that is less then owed, in full satisfaction of the debt. In the event that they will not settle or you refuse to pay, they can try and sue you at that time to collect. If they do, it would be at that time that they would have to show the court exactly how they arrived at the amount of $5600. You would have a legal right to defend the suit at that time as well but I am inclined to believe that they would be more willing to work with you, to keep this out of court. You can make a written demand to them asking for a break down of the charges and disputing the validity of the debt. That should result in them sending you the information, so you can decide if you want to pay it or fight it, at that time.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So where do I go from here?

From here, you can send a certified letter, to the company who is demanding the payment and advise them that you are disputing the debt, want it verified and broken down, to see where they are coming up with the amount of $5600. Wait and see their response and then you can decide if it is valid and you want to work out a settlement or do nothing and wait to see if they sue you and defend the cause of action. You always want to avoid a lawsuit but if you have defenses and they can not justify the amount they are requesting, you should not just pay it.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you