Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

what is this "Permitted Representation" clause for? Im

what is this "Permitted Representation"...
what is this "Permitted Representation" clause for?

I'm reviewing an engagement letter from a legal counseling firm for my company. There is a term called "Permitted Representation" like the following:

... Accordingly, by signing our engagement letter agreement, you confirm our mutual agreement that we may represent other present or future parties on matters other than those for which we had been or then are engaged by you, whether or not on a basis adverse to you or any of your affiliates, including in any advisory capacity or any business transaction, all of which are referred to here as “Permitted Representation”. In furtherance of this mutual agreement, you agree that you will not for yourself or any other party, and you will not permit an affiliated party to, assert our representation of you, either previously, in our then existing representation, or in any other matter in which you may retain us, as a basis for disqualifying us from representing another party in any Permitted Representation and you agree that any Permitted Representation does not constitute a breach of duty. Permitted Representation would include, without limitation, representing a client over which you or your affiliates might be seeking to acquire influence or control, or from which you or your affiliates may wish to buy assets, or representing a client regarding its interest at the time in acquiring influence or control over an entity in which you or your affiliates have a similar interest. ...

Is this clause a common practice? Is it ok for me to sign the engagement letter?

Thank you,
Huang
8/15/2013
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

That type of clause is becoming more common.

JD 1992 :

It is used to prevent a law firm from being disqualified in cases due to a potential conflict of interest because they represented someone on an entirely different matter in the past.

JD 1992 :

It usually isn't an issue because they would still be disqualified if there is a real conflict of interest, regardless of that clause.

Customer:

I got it

Customer:

so it is just in case there is a potential conflict

JD 1992 :

It's used more for business and family lawyers than most others.

JD 1992 :

Correct.

Customer:

ok.

JD 1992 :

And it is actually more for where there isn't really a conflict, just prior representation.

JD 1992 :

The Code of Ethics would still prevent representation if there were a real conflict of interest.

Customer:

ok. if there is a conflict, the federal law still prohibits adverse representation?

Customer:

got it.

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

thank you for your prompting answer

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you!

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Best wishes to you!
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney