How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a massage therapist and a health coach. I want to know

This answer was rated:

I am a massage therapist and a health coach. I want to know what I have to do to do both under a business name if I want to. I live in Texas.

Thank you for your question.

The fact that you are working under a license as a massage therapist does not prevent you from opening a business in which you provide both services. If you wish to incorporate, you would simply need to file an article of incorporation as an LLC with the Texas Secretary of State, and then you can operate under that business name. You can find the needed form here:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should have been more specific. You say I can use my name and have someone write me a check for both services and they do not have to be exclusive, but I also need to understand why I would choose another option.

Choosing to incorporate your business is a way to protect your personal assets from liability on claims against your business. It also can provide tax benefits if you do the accounting correctly (i.e., when you own your own corporation there are many expenses you can write off to reduce your tax liability).

Those are the general reasons you would want to incorporate.
TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you