How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An employee has filed harrasment charges with the companys

This answer was rated:

An employee has filed harrasment charges with the company's internal labor office. The claims include inappropriate touching. I am certain that the claims will be found false by the labor department. Is there any recourse for defamation in such a situation?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes there is recourse for defamation against the employee. An employee is not immune from civil suit for defamatory statements regarding an employer or coemployee. Consider filing a defamation action after the claims have been found false.

Defamation requires:
(1) a false statement of fact about another;
(2) an unprivileged publication of that statement to a third party;
(3) some degree of fault, depending on the type of case; and
(4) some harm or damage.

Libel is defamation by the printed word and slander is defamation by the spoken word.

Your situation appears to meet all the requirements to establish a claim for defamation.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I will let the internal investigation follow its course, and proceed after the findings have been produces.

Great plan. Of course, because of the nuanced details of the matter, I suggest that you retain a local attorney.
Here is a link to a free site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel:

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future
Ellen and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you